Do you have an accounting assistant interview coming up? Then you are in the right place. We have compiled the most popular accounting assistant interview questions for you to prepare.
Worried about not getting enough Interview Calls? It might be your resume’s fault.
Optimize your Resume and Get More Interview Calls.
Extract Skills and Keywords from a Job Description and include them in your Resume
Know about the Applicant Tracking System and Improve Your Resume.
In this guide you will find:
- Commonly asked accounting assistant interview questions and answers
- List of knowledge and experienced-based accounting assistant interview questions
- List of HR-related and general accounting assistant interview questions
Commonly Asked Accounting Assistant Interview Questions and Answers
Q1. What are the main branches of accounting?
Accounting has three main branches viz. Financial Accounting, Management Accounting, and Cost Accounting.
Q2. Which accounting softwares do you use commonly?
I commonly use AME Accounting Software, Microsoft Small Business Financials, Financial Force, CGram Software, Microsoft Dynamics AX, Microsoft Accounting Professional, etc.
Q3. Briefly describe GST.
GST, or Goods and Service Tax is an indirect tax and one of the largest tax reforms of India. According to Wikipedia, “It is a comprehensive multistage, destination based tax. Comprehensive because it has subsumed almost all the indirect taxes except few. Multi-Staged as it is imposed at every step in the production process, but is meant to be refunded to all parties in the various stages of production other than the final consumer. And destination based tax, as it is collected from point of consumption and not point of origin like previous taxes.”
Q4. Which daily tasks did you perform in your previous job?/ Tell us about your day-to-day responsibilities in your last job.
My day-to-day job as an Accounting Assistant included data entry, data processing, keeping records, accounting, book-keeping, tracking and processing transactions etc. I also performed clerical works like maintaining files, responding to emails, preparing invoices, preparing expense reports, managing financial transactions, cash transactions, preparing cheques for payments and so on.
Q5. Can you tell me the difference between a dormant account and an inactive account?
A dormant account is a temporarily inactive account that can be activated again, whereas an inactive account is permanently inactive and cannot be activated again.
Q6. Explain the difference between private and public accounting.
Private accounting is being involved in a company and doing their own accounting, while public accounting is doing other company’s accounting while belonging to a 3rd party company.
Q7. What is the difference between accounting and auditing?
The main difference between auditing and accounting is that accounting is done by their own employees in an organization, whereas audit is done by independent, 3rd party financial bodies. Accounting is a day to day process, but audit is done generally once a year. Accounting is the process of keeping records and preparing statements, while auditing is more like cross-checking the statements produced from accounting.
Q8. What, according to you, are the essential skills required to be a good accounting assistant?
An accounting assistant needs a lot of skills including, but not limited to, computing skills, time-management skills, multitasking skills, communication skills, attention to details, patience and integrity, organizational skills, adaptability, etc.
Knowledge and experienced-based accounting assistant interview questions
- Tell me about your working experience as an accounting assistant.
- Can you multitask? How do you manage?/ Tell us about a time you efficiently managed multitasking in the past.
- What special courses and training programs have you attended to become an efficient accounting assistant?
- How do you ensure accuracy and error-free work?
- How do you apply the accounting principles in your daily work?
HR-related and general accounting assistant interview questions
- Why did you become an accounting professional?
- Tell me about yourself.
- How do you handle conflict in the workplace?
- What do you know about our company?
- How do you keep yourself updated with the current trends of accounts and finance?
- How do you maintain a good professional relationship with other team members?
- Which of your responsibilities did you enjoy the most in your previous employment?
- How do you work under pressure and meet deadlines?
- Why should we hire you?
- Do you have any questions for us?